Pages

Sunday 5 February 2012

Day 32: Swedish Semla (almond bun)

Baking is definitively a creative practice. Here we have some Swedish almond buns with cream, it is a traditional cake eaten about this time of year and you get them in all cafes in sweden but obviously I am not there, so I decided to treat my english husband to one. He took the largest one :)

I haven't baked since Christmas so it felt good to be up to the elbows in flour again. Secret to good baking is definitely love. I tend to bake when I feel happy and loved because then the cakes come out right. 
I have been baking since early childhood, my mother is a marvellous baker and my whole female side of family are known for their baking abilities, but unfortunately my mama tended to be a bit harsh with her expectations so I stopped baking for years. It is only recently I have re- discovered my love for baking and that I'm quite good at it. My favourites are bagels to which I refer to as my chubby children, all shiny and fat. :) I have to hold back on it a bit, otherwise my husband, who is a great fan, will end up looking like a bagel.




No comments:

Post a Comment