Pages

Saturday 11 February 2012

Day 35: Art-doll

Since I have been poorly for few days my making has been non-exsisting, fever and sewing machine are not best friends. Today, as I feel better and as my blog has been featured on http://makesomething365.blogspot.com/ yay!! I decided I am well enough to continue. I think I will just add these three days on and if it takes longer then a year to complete, so what...

Anyway, I went back into the studio and already felt that little devil called lazyness telling me that I was maybe feeling too tired and maybe not good enough and maybe I should go back to telly instead. Seeing right through that, I decided to make a clutch bag...yeah, if my fuzzy brain could put instructions together I would have made one. Instructions read as well as hieroglyphs so I abandoned that, instead I decided to make a doll. But not one of those complicated with all the joints and stuff but a one piece one.

This doll, who is still nameless is made in one piece following instructions by Mindy Lacefield, http://www.timssally.com/.
Basically instructions are as follows. Cut one piece of calico and draw a doll shape on it with soft pencil. Paint face with white acrylic and when dry use acrylics to paint in the features. Transfer shape of dress on to a tissue paper and cut out. Then glue scrap paper on top of the tissue paper. ( I used an old National Geographic) When dry, machine stitch paper dress on top of calico. When you are happy with your embellishments  add another piece of calico to be back of the doll, sew all around, I did not turn this doll so seams are visible. Leave one side open to stuff through or cut in the back.
When the doll gets stuffed it kind of changes appearance which I was a bit unexpected but fun... 





3 comments:

  1. Hi Branka, I hope that you get better soon.

    I love this delightfully charming fabric doll and your previous projects, especially the folkloric fox & Rabbit, your handsome and tall knit teddy bear in waistcoat and lovely hand-drawn sketches. I look forward to seeing many more of your Arty projects. Thank you for sharing them via Noah's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, It really threw me when I stuffed it, as it really changed...but I love the process of making it, paper and textiles together, my favourite combo...

    ReplyDelete