Pages

Thursday 26 April 2012

Day 109: Queen portrait number 2


This is the under painting for the second portrait in my Queen series. The first one is finished and you can see it here: http://365artydays.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/day-94-bit-more-work-on-oil-painting.html

I got this book on old master's painting techniques that I am following. First portrait was done in following Titian, this one is Caravaggio and the third one will be Vermeer. Although they might end up looking all the same :)
 I had a long talk with my very wise husband yesterday about my art and all. He said basically that I am in the middle, on one hand I can paint very well as long as I am detached from the subject, like in these portraits but then when I make something personal it becomes just a hash like the painting yesterday.

So basically I need to find a way to marry the two. Instead of using symbolism that I think other people will understand, I need to find the ones I believe in and then paint that using some of my technical skills.

Well that's the theory...

No comments:

Post a Comment