Pages

Sunday 8 April 2012

Day 92: Fox and rabbit - best friends


This story is written as response to Yasna C. Provine's 365 blog from which we are taking inspiration this Sunday. Yasna writes beautiful poetry and combines it with equally beautiful images but as I am no poet, a story will have to do :) Check her blog out here: http://word-e-bird-e.blogspot.co.uk/

One day rabbit said to the fox: I am so lonely, I have no friends at all!
The fox looked at him and said: But what about me, I am your friend.
Yes, rabbit said, but you are weird, you are all red and toothy and you eat rabbits. I want friends that are more like me. I am going to go and find some real friends.

The fox was deeply hurt while she was watching, what she thought her best friend, disregard their friendship and go in search for other, better friends. She went home to her lair and cried herself to sleep.
Meanwhile, the rabbit was in pursuit of other ‘real’ friends. First he found a squirrel and asked her if she wanted to be his friend. Yes, squirrel said, yes, I will be your best friend. Now, see that house over there, they have the most delicious nuts there and because you are my best friend, you should get over there and get me some. Ok, said rabbit, and hopped away. Alas, what squirrel didn’t tell was that there was a big, ferocious dog, guarding that house. He sent rabbit running head over heels and almost bit his tail off. Rabbit decided that the squirrel was not his best friend and went looking for someone else.

Next, he found a hedgehog and asked him if he wanted to be rabbit’s best friend. Yes, hedgehog said, that will be fun. Let me show you what we, hedgehogs, do when we are having fun. First, you get all your spikes out and curl into a ball. Then you smash real hard into each other and wrestle.
But, cried rabbit, I have no spikes, I am furry. Never mind, shouted hedgehog as he curled up into a ball and crashed into the rabbit. We can play anyway!
Ouch, ouch, ouch!!! That really hurts, cried rabbit. Never mind, don’t be such a coward, we hedgehogs never complain, we just get on with it.
But I am no hedgehog, I have no spikes, cried rabbit, big tears welling up in his eyes. Well, you are no real hedgehog, and I can’t be your best friend then. Get lost, stop wasting my time! Shouted hedgehog angrily as he curled back up into a ball and went for the rabbit. Rabbit run for all he was worth. When he finished running and sobbing, he went to find another best friend.

Next, he saw a beautiful hare preening his long ears in the sunshine. The hare, he thought, looks like me. Maybe he will be my best friend. Do you think I am beautiful, asked hare. Yes, replied rabbit, very much.
Then, I suppose you could be my best friend, answered hare. Do you think my fur is pretty, prettier then yours, asked hare again. Yes, replied rabbit, much prettier.
Now, said hare, I will show you how high I can jump, said hare and leaped into the air. Wonderful, cried rabbit, I can leap too.
Yes, yes, but look at me leap and summersault, shouted hare, and promptly carried on with acrobatics. Rabbit only managed to hop a bit while the hare was leaping and making all sorts of wonderful tricks. He soon got very tired. Then the hare said: I will show you how fast I can run and how fine my stride is. With that he set off. Little rabbit was running as fast as his short, little legs could carry him, trying to keep up. The hare waited for him once, twice and then told him sharply to keep up. But, replied rabbit, I can’t, my legs are much shorter. Yes, yes, I have wonderful legs, said hare, but also I am very determined and brave, once I have determined to achieve a goal there is no stopping me.

While the hare was talking, a great shadow showed up on the grass. Rabbit crept closer to the ground and whispered: be still, there is danger. But the hare was so busy talking about himself and also decided to illustrate his great abilities by taking yet another great leap into the air. At that point, the shadow swooped down and grabbed the hare in mid air with great, sharp talons. For the shadow was an eagle and hare was now his dinner. The eagle promptly started tearing into the hare. Rabbit was still glued to the floor, shaking and crying. Eagle, between mouthfuls, looked at him and asked: what’s wrong, I am not planning on eating you today.
I am so lonely, replied rabbit, I have no best friend and now you are having my new best friend for dinner.
That fool, asked eagle, pecking at the hare. I heard his foolishness all the way to my great eagle’s nest. So, asked eagle, who is there you talk to most often? The fox, replied rabbit.
Who is there for you to laugh with? The fox, replied rabbit..
Who is there when you are sad, or in pain? The fox, replied rabbit.
Who doesn’t eat you although it is in her nature to do so? The fox, replied rabbit, his ears perking up.
So why isn’t the fox your best friend?
Because she is weird, all red and toothy, replied rabbit, but she doesn’t trick me, beat me or use me as a facility. The fox is my best friend, shouted rabbit, and set off back to foxes lair.
Eagle looked after him, murmured ‘fool’, under his breath and turned his attention back to what was left of the vain hare.

Rabbit run all the way to foxes, stopping only briefly to dig up a special carrot he has been saving to grow really large and juicy. The fox was still sad.
Fox, fox, shouted rabbit, forgive me for I have been so foolish. You are the best friend one can have. I think you are clever, kind and beautiful.  Not at all weird, or toothy. On this, fox opened one eye.
Also, I brought you my best carrot, I missed you so much and you will always be my best friend.
On this, fox opened the other eye and smiled because she knew her best friend rabbit well and she knew he would be back.
Thank you, said fox, I will put the carrot on this special place in my lair, for later. I am happy to be your best friend. Now, tell me what happened. And the rabbit told her all about his adventures that day and they had a good laugh about it.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful story, Branka! And a good moral to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, I love it! :D This should be a children's book. It belongs among Asop's fables. ^^ Great story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous story! And reminded me of your beautiful folk art style rabbit and fox.

    ReplyDelete