Pages

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Day 99: Coffe-drinking, chocolate-eating, dragonvale-playing soulsearch


This Sunday we were supposed to make something together within 365ers-2012 group. The idea was to highlight a major inspiration in our life/work, this happened to occur at the same time as a I am having (yet another) one of my work/life lows. So instead of forcing and contriving something I thought of writing about where I stand at the moment and that might help me forward. At least I know there are people supporting me in my endeavours and they might have some wise words for me.

I am a trained anthropologist with a BA and a MA, I also have another BA in art, I speak 4 languages, I am about to finish a small qualification in joinery and me and my husband have started work with boat restoration. All this makes me feel very conflicted. My parents are pushing me into getting a 'proper' job with wages and career, my peers are all doing well in that department. I think my parent are getting hard questions by their peers who compete in who has the most successful child. My mother told me she would be so much happier if we owned our own house. We haven't found a place we want to live in so much it is wort buying a house. Mainly I want to be an artist.

Recently, thing I have tried have not worked out, my exhibition proposals have all been rejected. I seem to be able to make anything if I put my mind to it (hrm, maybe not pottery :) but I can't seem to be able to make any ways forward. My husband says that the problem is that my way of telling a story is very culture specific (balkan) in a anglo-sawxon world so there are interpretations problems. I don't know what to do about that. I also find it very hard to express my innermost emotions, mostly I want people to like me as I am extremely afraid of conflict (war refugee, what can you do). So I guess my art suffers, I feel I am making nonsense while time is passing. I also have an artistic temperament and are constantly doing something else as you can see from my very varied blog.

My husband, again, says, it takes time and patience to become a success but I only feel lost and have come to a point where I feel like quitting and taking up a job. I feel I can't make anything coherent and that I feel like I am a waste of space. How can you be so gifted and so useless at the same time?

To come back to the sunday's task, I have been racking my brain to come up with inspirations so here they are. I admire Francis Bacon and Frida Khalo for their courageous and fragile paintings, Cy Twombly for academic precision combined with artistic excellence. William Turner for landscapes with feelings, Jackson Pollock for expressiveness and force, Leonardo da Vinci for beauty, Caravaggio for drama, Schiele for fragility, van Gogh for colors, Alice Kettle for amazing textiles, Chris Berens for imagination, Rothko for peace, Frances Woodman for otherwordliness and there are so many more, each and one very special in their own way..Inspiration comes from such unexpected places, having a FB group has been something that has made me very happy and kept me inspired and most of the time I am happy and grateful for everything I have but sometimes I just feel lost, like I am supposed to do something with all of it and I am not getting the hint. The blog was supposed to help me to get more focused but as 100th day is looming I feel I am just running in circles.

So this has been a bit of a rant but I feel better for it:) My good friend Carolin advises to make small plans and stick to it, but all those have fallen through at the moment so I guess I have to get myself up on that horse again...I better go and make something..

5 comments:

  1. Hi Branka,

    An interesting Blog and very poignant, I have a few positive remarks. Firstly setting up this group has been a great success for you, and I would like to say thank you, you have inspired me to continue writing my Rhymes, and I have recently picked up my Photography again to compliment my Rhymes. On the work front I read something by Paulo Coelho a week or so ago, where he comments on someone’s question on why there life is not like everyone else’s life 2.4 children, married and in a successful job, and having gained a degree which I found very pertinent. Any way he responded saying that basically not being part of the mundane or collective norm of society makes us unique. I found this very interesting pondered on it for a while and came to the conclusion that by not being the same and following the norm maybe we can contribute something different, unique and worthwhile.

    As you know I have worked for years and sometimes find it frustrating being out of work, however I now try and temper this frustration with looking at what I have gained whilst not in employment, obviously not money:0) However thanks to you and your blog and my non employment I have been able to re discover my creative side more and re asses what is important in my life. I used to think success was based upon your social standing or your Corporate might in the working environment, I used to always want to be a Director. However, my views have changed recently and I won’t evaluate any longer my success or self-worth on a job, having 2.4 children and a degree.

    I enjoy your art work, Jessica loves it and just for the record I would not chose anyone else to teach art to my daughter over you, and your work is unique just as you are Branka. I am sure an opportunity will knock soon in the mean time I am sure we will all continue to take pleasure from your work.

    Lots of Love your friend,

    Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Branka, do´nt punnish yourself for the "down"times, everyone has those times and they will go away. Take a relax- time-out and when you feel like it, you go for it.
    I wish you strenght and wisdom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both Yvonne and Jonathan.
    Don't beat yourself up.
    Isn't it both amazing and awful that the creative mind can bring you so much joy while making you crazy at the same time? As artists, we are adept at analyzing and observing the world around us. When we turn this skill on ourselves it can be so damaging. A lot of the artists you mentioned (as sources of inspiration) ended up destroying themselves. I don't think this will happen to you. You already did a wonderful thing by taking all your negative thoughts out of your head and placing them here.
    You are so brave and you are not alone...
    Hope your week improves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Branka, I empathize 100%... Its easy to sometimes feel swept up in the inertia. Taking a time-out just to pamper, appreciate and love yourself can be very healing. Beyond that, have faith that everything changes, including frustrating ruts - which make way to better things. Hang in there... we're behind you. <3 ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks friends, your comforting words and your presence really helps, I actually feel better now I got it off my chest and I am ready to face the life again:)

    ReplyDelete