Pages

Monday 5 March 2012

Day 58: White deer on felt

Ever since I was a child I have been fascinated by white deer myth. It is one of my favourite images and I have made it several times. This one is inspired by a japanese white deer mandala, you can see some pictures below. 
For this particular piece I half-felted (partially felted) background and deer separately and after cutting out deer shape from white half-felt I put the two together and did a full felt. A bit tricky as felt shrinks with about 20% so hit and miss with shapes. After it dried I machine embroidered deer shape as well as the cloud it stands on. 
I sort of think maybe it needs more work but I can't see what that would be at the moment so I will leave it for few months and then maybe have another look. I would really like to paint the whole mandala but I need to find a good quality print first.






AND I managed to get into kitchen again. I seem to be finding that inner vegetarian cook again. Here we have: a spinach and egg roll with mushroom and creme fraiche stuffing, mm-mmm-mmm!




2 comments:

  1. The deer is stunning! Kudos!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely deer, love the background felt & machine embroidery too.

    ReplyDelete